Video released of Daniel Furlong's murder confession

Daniel Furlong describes the death of Jodi Parrack to Michigan investigators following his arrest for an unrelated case.
By  | 

Next week, a Michigan judge will sentence a man who's pleaded guilty to murdering a young girl back in 2007.

In a new video confession obtained, courtesy of WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids, Daniel Furlong described Jodi Parrack’s death to investigators.

Furlong was already in jail after he was arrested for luring a young girl into his white pigeon garage back in August. Fortunately, that girl escaped.

However, investigators listened as Furlong confirmed some grisly details into Jodi's death, which has weighed heavily on the village of Constantine for the better part of a decade.
“The last time I had a cigarette was probably August 10th,” Daniel Furlong said.

This is our first look at video of convicted killer Daniel Furlong's conversation with police and the St. Joseph County prosecutor.

“The DNA tested and was a match for the DNA found on Jodi Parrack's clothing and body the night of her homicide,” county prosecutor John McDonough said during an announcement on September 10th.

Police had the DNA, now they have Furlong's confession to go along with the 2007 murder and sexual assault of 11-year-old Jodi Parrack.

“This guy slid under that wire for a long time. But eventually, you might say he hung himself,” former Constantine police chief Jim Bedell said.

Furlong was never a person of interest in Parrack's death. He was arrested in August after a young girl in White Pigeon says Furlong tried luring her into his garage. Once in handcuffs, Furlong agreed to a DNA test, but says Parrack's death hadn't crossed his mind in years.

Furlong gave grisly details of how he kidnapped and killed Jodi, first seeing her outside riding bike the afternoon of November 7th, 2007 while he was cleaning his garage.

“She said ‘will you let me go?’ I said I can't let you go, honey,” Furlong said.

Furlong says he molested Jodi but didn't rape her, that he kept her tied up in his boat for about a half hour. His home was around the corner from the Constantine Police Department, and a few blocks from where Jodi lived with her family.

“Her hands were behind her back like this,” Furlong described.

She didn't scream, and didn't fight, Furlong said. Without knowing what to do, Furlong says he drove Parrack, who was still alive, to the nearby cemetery.

“Why did you put the bag over her head?” An investigator asked.
“I don't know,” Furlong responded. “I don't even know why. By that time, I was panicking. I just wanted to get out of there.”

“I remember hearing her mother screaming from the cemetery. I remember it vividly,” Constantine resident Christy Leeth said.

Once Jodi's body was found in the graveyard, investigators first looked to Raymond McCann, a reserve police officer who knew Jodi's family and was later imprisoned for lying to police. McCann was recently released.

“Do you know Mr. Mccann?” An investigator asked.
“I don't know the one they showed on TV. I don't know him. I know his grandfather,” Furlong said.

While Furlong is copping to Jodi's murder, he maintains he has no connection to 6-year-old Brittney Beers, a Sturgis girl who disappeared in 1997.

Furlong’s connection to Beers—he says—is his former wife, who worked for the family at a concession stand at a nearby race track. Furlong denied taking Brittney, whose body has never been found.

“I know nothing,” Furlong said. “I'll take a polygraph test, I don't care.”