St. Joseph County, Ind. St. Joseph County Metro Homicide says two brothers from Granger died Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose after attending a house party a mile from their home Saturday night. .
Two others who attended the party are in the hospital and are expected to recover, police said.
According to the St. Joseph County Coroner's Office, Nick and Jack Savage were found at home unresponsive--around 11:30 a.m. Sunday. Metro Homicide said one brother was found in the basement while the other was discovered upstairs. The brothers were pronounced dead at their home.
Jack graduated from Penn a few weeks ago. Nick graduated from Penn last year. Both Savage brothers played on the Kingsmen hockey team.
"I'm sure there's going to be a lot of people shaking their heads saying, I didn't think it would happen here--this happens in five million dollar houses, it happens in 50 dollar houses," Metro Homicide Commander Tim Corbett said at news conference Sunday. "Nobody's immune to this, we do everything every day to try and prevent it. And you hear the arguments, 'oh it's just marijuana, legalize it.' That's the simple way of just sweeping it under the carpet instead of trying to stop it. It's the manifestation of what happens after it. It's not just getting high. It's the deaths. Go out and look these parents in the face and tell them that their children are dead."
Ryan Hale lives near where the party reportedly took place. Though he never knew the Savage brothers, he felt the tragedy, nonetheless.
"It's horrible to hear that it's two kids starting the beginning of their adult lives, and it's just tragic for everybody involved -- I mean, friends, family, and just people in the community to hear this."
Metro Homicide says they believe prescription drugs may have been used at the party but did not want to speculate on what exactly led to the brothers' deaths until autopsy and toxicology results are done. Autopsies are scheduled for Monday.
So far, police have interviewed more than 20 people who were at the party.