Small fire at Kennedy Primary Academy disrupts classes

By  | 

SOUTH BEND, Ind.--- We have received a letter from Kennedy Primary Academy concerning a fire incident at the school earlier Tuesday morning.

The complete statement is below:

To parents of Kennedy students:

This letter is to inform you that the fire alarms at Kennedy Primary Academy went off at approximately 10:45 a.m. today in response to a fire in one of the restrooms on the lower west pod where second and part of third grade classrooms are located.

In an effort to keep everyone safe, all students were evacuated. Students were outside for approximately 10-15 minutes in the
cold weather before being brought into the gym. Children and staff members acted responsiblyand should be commended for how well they responded to the situation.

The student involved in setting the fire will face disciplinary action. Because of the large amount of smoke in the building, you might notice a residual smell on your children’s belongings. I apologize for any
inconvenience this might have caused you and your child, but safety is always our biggest concern. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at 574-283-7435 or wwaskom@sbcsc.k12.in.us.

Best Regards,

William Waskom