Police chase shuts down Notre Dame's campus

By  | 

A Mishawaka suspect is in custody after leading police on a high speed chase, breaking into a home, stealing a car and driving to Notre Dame where the campus was briefly put on lockdown during a standoff with police at St. Mary’s Lake.

Chase begins early Monday morning

The ordeal began early this morning when Mishawaka Officers were dispatched to the 200 block of S. Hill Street after reports that 23-year-old Joshua Ringle of Mishawaka was violating a protective order held by Ringle’s ex-girlfriend.

Ringle refused to stop for police and officers chased the suspect north on Main Street before giving up the high speed pursuit due to safety concerns.

Then around 11 a.m. Monday, police received a tip that Ringle was at the West Jefferson Apartments on Liberty Drive. Neighbors tell NewsCenter16 that Ringle had been living there for several months.

Home invasion and car theft

Detectives arrived on scene and made contact with Ringle who took off on foot. Ringle ran towards a neighborhood on Lowell Wood West and entered a home on Lowell Wood.

Homeowner Kathryn Hipskind was home alone and tried to confront the suspect.

“Suddenly he was up on the deck and I went to the door, which is about 5 steps away, and tried to hold it shut,” Hipskind said. “He pushed it open, I shoved him, grabbed his jacket pulled on his jacket. He took off down the hall.”

Hipskind said Ringle then hopped into her gray Subaru Forrester and drove through the lowered garage door. Ringle refused to stop for police and drove east on Lowell to Liberty before turning left onto Liberty with officers pursuing.

Car rolls at Grape and Douglas

Witnesses say Ringle rolled his car at the C& B optical parking lot near Grape and Douglas. The car corrected itself and Ringle continued west on Douglas towards Notre Dame.

Shortly after this crash, officers were informed that the gray SUV and a male subject matching the disruption of Joshua Ringle were in the Library parking lot at the University of Notre Dame.

Stand off at St. Mary’s Lake

An officer pursued Ringle who ran north and jumped into St. Mary’s Lake shortly after noon.

“Due to the darkness of the water we couldn't see his hands very well so he kept making references that he would shoot us and that he wanted to die,” said Lt. Tim Williams of the Mishawaka Police Dept.
Williams said officers on scene tried talking Ringle out of the lake but Ringle refused.

A police negotiator tried talking Ringle out of the water while an officer threw a throw bag to Ringle to help pull him to shore. Ringle refused to grab the rope numerous times. Notre Dame Fire Department was able to place a boat in the water with officers on board in case it was needed. Due to the time Ringle spent in the water and concerns for his health since Ringle would not grab the rope the boat was used to get Ringle out of the water and take him to shore.

Ringle was taken into custody without incident and immediately provided medical attention due to hypothermia. Ringle was transported to a local hospital for treatment.

The campuses of Bethel College and Notre Dame were placed on lock down for safety reasons. The lockdown was lifted after Ringle was taken into custody.

Criminal history

Ringel has a lengthy arrest record in Indiana that go back to 2010. His previous arrests include invasion of privacy, weapons charges, battery, burglary and theft.

Courtesy of Jordan Anthony