Anna Rohrer has made it official.
Mishawaka High School's prolific runner has signed a letter of intent to continue her cross country and academic careers at Notre Dame.
"I can't wait," Anna said with a smile. "It is going to take running to a whole new level and have a lot more competition all the time. I am looking forward to having some constant female training partners, no offense to the guys I train with, but it will be nice"
Rohrer was also highly considering Providence but says it was ultimately the spiritual element of Notre Dame that drew her to the Irish.
"I think one of the biggest keys was the faith aspect at Notre Dame,” says Rohrer. “Everywhere I looked had a great team and a great coach and good academics, so I think that was the final deciding factor."
Earlier this spring, Rohrer was named the Gatorade National H.S. Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year. She's a two-time high school national champion in cross country and multi-time cross country and track & field Indiana state champion.
Mishawaka High School Cross Country Coach Chris Kowalewski agrees that blue and gold are the right colors for Rohrer.
"She is very much ready for the Notre Dame challenge,” Kowalewski told us in February. "She was not only going for an athletic challenge; Anna was also going for an academic challenge."
Today Anna said even through all of the visits she knew N-D was where she wanted to be.
"It was a lot of fun to get to go out and explore different colleges but I knew that Notre Dame was the right fit for me."
Marian basketball star Devin Cannady, who grew up and lives in the same neighborhood as Anna, also signed his letter of intent today to attend Princeton. Now the two of them will have the chance to represent the Princess City on the national stage.
"I think it is so cool," Anna said. "it is great for our town because Mishawaka Indiana isn't a top known city around the country but I just think it is cool to show that we have a lot of potential. We are coming together as a community and I think it is really neat that Devin and I can represent like that."
Anna Rohrer's 2014-15 season stats:
• Undefeated season and Indiana girls’ cross-country state champion in state meet record time 17:08
• IHSAA girls’ cross-country state mental attitude award winner.
• Indiana All-Star Team Member and Mid-East Meet of Champions winner
• Footlocker Midwest Champion.
• Footlocker National Champion, only 5th double champion and only second girl to win in non-consecutive years (2012, 2014)
• Member of Team USA in Great Edinburgh Cross-Country race in Scotland, 2nd in the junior women’s race helping Team USA defeat Team Great Britain and Team Europe for the first time in event history.
• Awarded Gatorade’s Indiana and National Girls’ Cross-Country Runner of the Year.
• Committed to the University of Notre Dame on track and cross-country scholarship.
• Class Salutatorian.
• New Balance National Indoor 5000 meters champion in national record time of 16:10.7