UPDATE: 17-year-old girl dies after shooting and crash in South Bend

By  | 

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (WNDU) - A teenage girl is dead after she was shot and then crashed her car into a home Thursday night, according to police

Tysiona Crawford

Police say 17-year-old Tysiona Crawford was found unresponsive in a car around 8 p.m. She'd been shot, and then crashed the car into a house near Twyckenham Drive and Hildreth.

South Bend Community Schools confirms Crawford was a student at Washington High School. A family member tells NewsCenter 16 she was a senior.

Washington High School Principal John Kennedy posted the following message to the school's Facebook page:

This is John Kennedy, Principal at Washington High School. It is with great sadness that I share with you that Washington High School has experienced the passing last evening of one of our precious and valued students, senior Tysiona Crawford. Her death is still under investigation and anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 288-STOP.

The Washington Administration sends our regards to Tysiona’s family. We are also committed to supporting our students through this difficult time. Special counseling services have been made available to the students today and will continue to be available as needed. Please let us know if your student needs any special support. Thank you and best wishes.

Meanwhile, Pastor Graylin Watson prayed with Washington students on Friday, per usual. Yet the news to which they awoke -- Crawford's death -- wasn't the same as previous days.

"That grieves. That would grieve anybody. It's not just the student body. It's the staff, and it's you and me and anybody that's concerned about life," explained Watson, pastor of Jesus Is Emmanuel Ministry in South Bend.

Her family told NewsCenter 16 she'll be laid to rest on Thursday.

IU South Bend sent out a crime alert Thursday night saying police are looking for a 17-year-old black male. They say he's a suspect in a shooting on Clover Street, just one block away from the campus.

Police believe that shooting and Crawford's crash are connected. They say the suspect escaped and ran north.

Police were tipped off by a ShotSpotter alert on Clover. They found shell casings in that area, and noticed Crawford's car down the street, on it's side, sticking out of the home.

Emergency responders performed CPR on Crawford and rushed her to the hospital.

Metro Homicide has taken over the investigation.

An autopsy was performed Friday, and the forensic pathologist determined the cause of Crawford's death to be gunshot wound and the manner of her death to be a homicide.

There is no answer to whether someone else was in the car.

This is a developing story. Make sure to stay with NewsCenter 16 for updates.