Residents affected by flooding need building permit for repairs

Published: Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:15 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
From a South Bend media release:

Today, the City of South Bend is reminding residents of South Bend and St. Joseph County that with the recent flooding, many structures in the community may have experienced structural damage. Repairs and/or reconstruction activities to structures that are located in the floodplain and were damaged due to the disaster will require a local building permit from the South Bend/St. Joseph County Building Department as required by local ordinance.

Residents that have suffered damage to their home or business from recent flooding should contact the Building Department or 311 to schedule a storm damage assessment visit.

In addition, depending on a property’s location, a permit may be required from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources prior to the start of any reconstruction activity. Failure to obtain the necessary permits could result in fines.

For more information on the permitting process, please contact:

South Bend/St. Joseph County Building Department

125 S. Lafayette, Suite 100

South Bend, IN 46601

(574) 235-9554