Never Again: Lawmakers React to historic moment MAXSTRONG bill signed
What started as Senate Bill 2 became known as MAXSTRONG School Bus Safety Act, and on Wednesday, Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signed it into law.
“Thank you for devoting so much attention to a topic that not only deserves it, it demands it,” Holcomb said as he grabbed the pens before him and signed the legislation.
“This wasn't about politics, it was about policy,” said bill author, Indiana Sen. Randy Head of Logansport. “This wasn't ‘R’ versus ‘D.’ This was about everybody's children.”
“We saw some new data that shows we still have 2,500 stop arm violations every day. That's down from 3,000-plus, but that's still unacceptable,” said Indiana Rep. Ethan Manning, the bill’s cosponsor. “By increasing penalties I think we've sent a message that it's unacceptable to pass a school bus that's stopped with its stop arm out.”
“All of the processes that we've gone through to get to this day? This is an exciting day to finally see the governor sign it,” said Indiana Rep. Jim Pressel of Rolling Prairie.
“We got a bill that will save children's lives,” said Rep. B. Pat Bauer of South Bend. “In this case, it was a tragedy of three kids being killed. It's just terrible. We hope it'll never happen again.”
The MAXSTRONG Act takes effect July 1, 2019.
- Never Again: Preventing bus stop tragedies
- North Liberty mom records bus stop violators in front of her house
- Alivia Stahl's dad: In his own words
- Never Again: Parents of children killed at bus stop lobby for legislation
- Never Again: Using legislation to prevent bus stop tragedies
- Rochester Community Schools gets hefty bus stop arm camera donation
- Never Again: Rochester school buses to be equipped with stop arm cameras
- Never Again: The dangers bus drivers deal with on the road - Part 1
- Never Again: School bus drivers debate road dangers - Part 2
- Never Again: Fathers of bus stop victims speak as legislation advances to IN Senate
- Never Again: Tippecanoe Valley receives donation for stop arm cameras
- Indiana Senate passes school bus safety bill
- Never Again: Local House members take on school bus safety legislation
- Never Again: Parents of bus stop victims speak; House panel amends safety bill
- Never Again: Remembering the youngest bus stop tragedy victims on their birthday
- Never Again: Walorski calls for federal school bus study
- Never Again: Breaking down the MAXSTRONG school bus safety bill
- Never again: Owen Abbott’s story
- Never Again: A timeline from tragedy to triumph