Former Irish receiver Stepherson arrested again; this time in Whitley County

By  | 

Former Notre Dame wide receiver Kevin Stepherson has had yet another run-in with the law.

The Whitley County Sheriffs office confirmed to NewsCenter 16 Sunday morning that that Stepherson was arrested on Friday night for possession of marijuana, visiting a common nuisance and possession of paraphernalia. He bonded out on Saturday and has his first court date set for Monday.

The news was first reported by Irish Sports Daily’s Matt Freeman.

NewsCenter 16 reported on January 17th that Stepherson was dismissed from the football team after run-ins with the law on back-to-back days in December.

While Stepherson is off the team, he remains enrolled at Notre Dame, a university spokesman confirmed on Monday. As is there usual protocol, Notre Dame will not comment on disciplinary actions.

On December 14th, Stepherson was pulled over in Marshall County. He was later charged with possession of marijuana, speeding, and no valid driver's license. The next day, he was arrested for shoplifting a pair a pair of sweatpants from Macy's at the University Park Mall in Mishawaka. He was picked up walking out of the store wearing an stolen $59 pair of Nautica sweatpants he allegedly did not purchase. He’s been charged with conversion, a class A misdemeanor from this incident. Both of those incidents were first reported by WNDU.

All of this happened while Stepherson was currently on probation as part of a plea deal for misdemeanor possession of marijuana following an August 2016 arrest in Fulton county on U.S. 31 in Rochester along with four other teammates.

The latest arrest would be Stepherson’s 4th run-in law with the law in four different Indiana counties—Fulton, Marshall, St. Joseph and now Whitley.

Despite the August arrest last year, Stepherson did not sit out a single game in 2016. He finished 2nd on the team in receiving.

While it was never acknowledged by Notre Dame, Stepherson was suspended for the first four games of 2017 for what sources tell NewsCenter 16 was a violation of team rules. He eventually returned to action and became one of Notre Dame's most reliable wide receivers, catching a team high five touchdowns during the most recent football season. Stepherson started three games, catching 19 total passes for 359 yards.

He was indefinitely suspended from the team in December and dismissed from the football program in January.