SOUTH BEND, Ind. (WNDU) The smoke from a fire at Paul's Auto Yard in South Bend was visible throughout the city Friday morning.
The property is located at 3300 S. Main Street.
The fire started in a supply shed on the corner of the property where vehicles' fluids are drained before they are recycled. A spark from an unknown source reportedly ignited the fluids while two employees were working. Both employees were able to get out safely.
"When we pulled in, we had, obviously, a working structure fire," Battalion Chief Chris Baker said. "The building was fully engulfed, so there were some automobiles, gasoline, some oil that was burning off.
"We were able to knock it down and bring it under control within probably 20 minutes."
Nobody was injured, but several streets in the area were blocked. Officials said the structure is a total loss.