Community discusses underage drinking prevention; mother shares painful story of loss
It was a sobering night at a town hall meeting at Bethel College Monday night.
The topic was preventing underage drinking; a panel of experts answered questions from the audience of mostly high school students.
The keynote speaker was Becky Savage, whose sons, Nick and Jack, died from an overdose of oxycodone and alcohol after going to a party in Granger.
For the first time, she publicly shared her painful story of losing her sons and hopes her story may save others.
“I cannot even begin to describe to you know the numbness that takes over you. It is one of the worst feelings I have every felt in my life,” says Savage.
“Needless to say, I was a mess. A few moments passed before a paramedic came out of our basement. I remember hearing him ask for a coroner. What? I remember thinking, coroner? Why? What's going on in my house?”
“The final worst feeling that day is to tell your other two children that their older two brothers have died, and are gone forever. The look of sorrow and heartbreak on their faces and the reality of the situation sinks in is something I will never forget.”
The evening was a collaboration between the Alcohol & Addiction Resource Center and The Partnership for Education and Prevention of Substance Abuse.
Maureen McFadden moderated the town hall meeting and will share more of Savage's story, as well as a private conversation between Becky and her husband, Mike Savage on Tuesday on NewsCenter 16,