2 dead after Benton Harbor house fire

Published: Apr. 6, 2021 at 2:00 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. (WNDU) - Two people are dead after a Benton Harbor house fire early Tuesday morning.

Around 4:30 a.m., authorities were dispatched to the 100 block of South Hull Avenue.

When authorities arrived, they noticed flames coming from the roof, which collapsed.

Once the fire was out, they found two victims inside.

“This is our second fata fire for the city within a matter of months. With me being a fire marshal, I always try to encourage everyone smoke detectors, smoke detectors. Have an escape plan if you can...It’s always good to have smoke detectors in your home and operating,” said Maurice Bruce, Fire Marshal with the City of Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety.

“There’s been multiple electric problems in this home,” said family member Farrah Rodgers.

Rodgers said her dad and sister-in-law were the ones who died in this house fire.

According to Rodgers, another family member, who was renting it, also died in the house a few days prior.

Names of the victims have not been released.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

From the Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety:

The Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety was dispatched at 4:35AM to a report of a structure at 157 S. Hull. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the house was fully involved, with flames shooting out of the roof. The roof had already collapsed inwardly. The responding firefighters were advised by a citizen that there was a possibility that two people may have still been inside the home.

Once the fire was brought under control, BHDPS did a search of the residence. The first victim was located in the front room of the home. The second victim was subsequently found in the kitchen in the rear of the home.

BHDPS was assisted by St. Joseph DPS, who did an excellent job in helping minimize the damage to a secondary exposure.

The Michigan State Police Fire Investigation unit, with the BHDPS Fire Marshal, are currently investigating the scene. At this point, there is no determination of the cause of the fire.

The names of the victims will not be released at this time until positive identification can be verified and the family begins to process this tragedy.

Copyright 2021 WNDU. All rights reserved.