Tommy Rees pleads guilty to two misdemeanor charges

Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees, 20, pleaded guilty Monday to two misdemeanor charges stemming from an arrest at an off-campus party in May.

Rees pleaded guilty to illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor and one count of resisting law enforcement. A 2nd count of resisting arrest and one county of battery were dropped.

"I apologize to my family, friends, the Notre Dame community, Fighting Irish fans and the South Bend Police Department for my actions this spring. I made a poor decision and I accept full responsibility," Rees said in a statement.

"I learned a valuable lesson and witnessed first-hand that actions have consequences. This experience will make me a better person and I will focus on being a positive role model and citizen.

"To those who supported me during this difficult time, I offer my sincerest thanks. To the people I disappointed, I am dedicated to winning back your trust and confidence."

The plea agreement includes a 30-day suspended sentence, 11 months of administrative probation, 50 hours of community service and Rees must issue a letter of apology to the officers involved.

A hearing has been set for August 20th to determine the amount of restitution to be paid.

Rees was arrested in early May along with linebacker Carlo Calabrese outside of a house party off campus after Rees attempted to flee the scene.

Police were called to the home on Notre Dame Avenue in early May due to a noise complaint. According to a source, Rees freaked out when he saw police because he was underage and had been drinking.

South Bend police Capt. Phil Trent says Rees was among about five people who jumped a backyard fence and ran after officers arrived at the party.

According to police, Rees ran from officer Brandon Stec onto Notre Dame Avenue. Police say a cab driver saw the pursuit and blocked Rees's path. They say Rees raised his knee into the officer, knocking the wind out of him. Officials say the cab driver then grabbed Rees and kept him from running away. When the officer tried to arrest Rees, police say Rees scuffled with him and they both fell back on the pavement. Stec sustained scrapes to the arm in the struggle.

Officers say Rees continued to try and resist arrest and was maced before being taken into custody.

Rees has finished each of the last two seasons as Notre Dame's starting quarterback. Entering his junior year, he's battling Andrew Hendrix, Everett Golson and Gunner Kiel for the starting job. Rees has been allowed to participate in summer workouts while his legal situation plays out. The Irish open up camp on August 4th.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email:
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 163448616 -