A 5th Notre Dame football player is being held out of practice and competition as the university has concluded its investigation into potential academic dishonesty, Irish Coach Brian Kelly said Thursday. The situation now heads into the hands of the Honor Code committee.
"I don't know what the outcome is going to be and now we are moving very quickly," Kelly said. "With my knowledge of how our process works, we will now adjudicate very quickly."
A university official confirmed to NewsCenter 16 that safety Eilar Hardy is the 5th player.
He joins cornerback KeiVarae Russell, defensive lineman Ishaq Williams, linebacker Kendall Moore and wide receiver DaVaris Daniels as those who's cases will go to the Honor Code Committee, who will ultimately will decide the fate of each player.
Kelly says he learned the news on Thursday.
"The investigation has concluded and for our football team we feel this has brought a big part of closure for us," Kelly said Thursday. "Now we can really focus the next 48 hours for preparation for Rice. You never want to hear about a young man pulled from practice. But we've talked about this-there's accountability and responsibility that will ensue here over the next week or so."
Kelly says he has been kept informed but he doesn't have any detail information about the investigation. Kelly has withheld the players under investigation from also participating in team meetings. He says its possible those players could return to meetings next week.
Hardy is a senior who was suspended on two different occasions last year for violations of team rules. He missed games against Purdue and Stanford. Hardy had 26 tackles in 2013. 15 of those tackles came in the two games prior to his suspension for the season finale against Stanford.
Notre Dame faces Rice Saturday at 3:42pm.