UPDATE: ND staffer back at work after medical emergency on flight from Dublin

By: Kevin Lewis & Angelo Di Carlo Email
By: Kevin Lewis & Angelo Di Carlo Email

Notre Dame says football staff member Ernest Jones is back at work Monday morning after a brief scare on the team's return flight home from Dublin Saturday night.

"He felt ill on the flight and had a reaction to sinus medication," Kelly explained his day after the game conference call. "Had a little bit of a scare but it turned out, everything looks to be pretty good."

Ernest Jones--director of player development and engagement for the Irish football team--was taken to the hospital for further evaluation and treatment of dehydration. He entered the hospital in stable condition after fainting and becoming lightheaded during the final two hours of the flight. He was later released from the hospital.

"Certainly I was encouraged by his condition when he left the plane," Irish Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick told NewsCenter 16 just after the plane landed. "Alert, talking, so our thoughts and prayers are with him, we want to make sure he's fine, but everything looked good."

Swarbrick said about two hours before the flight was scheduled to land, Jones began having issues but team doctors quickly responded and stabilized him.

"We travel with a full crew of talented physicians and trainers of course and they tended to him and seemed to do a great job and as he left the plane," Swarbrick explained. "The EMT's met us here and he seemed to be doing well, but they took him to the hospital and further reports will follow."

"They stowed everything and had us prepared if the call was needed to be made to land sooner, but after monitoring him carefully with the advice of the physicians, we decided to come into South Bend."

News of the medical emergency spread quickly on Twitter and Facebook. Some were surprised to see players tweeting as if they had no idea what was going on. There was a good chance they didn't on the massive plane if they were near the back and based on how quickly doctors stabilized things.

"We were so far into the flight that the vast majority of people were sleeping," Swarbrick explained. "I think that probably contributed to that as much as anything. The players put forth a lot of effort so by and large there was a sleeping team as we reached that point in the flight."

Notre Dame was returning from Dublin where the football team beat Navy 50-10 in the season opener.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 168294696 - wndu.com/a?a=168294696