Brian Kelly has named Everett Golson as Notre Dame's starting quarterback against Navy in Dublin, Ireland on September 1.
"it definitely means a lot but I know with this also comes a lot of responsibility," Golson explained. "I'm not going to rejoice in it. I'm happy about it but I understand it's also time to go to work right. My main focus is on Navy and just going to work."
The news was not shocking. Golson had been taking the majority of the reps throughout camp.Kelly said Andrew Hendrix will be the team's backup and that the Irish do not intend to use two quarterbacks in the opener against Navy on September 1st.
"Everett clearly won the starting job," Kelly explained. "If things goes the way we plan it, he will play the whole game."
Tommy Rees, who ended each of the last two seasons as the Notre Dame starter, is suspended for the season opener due to an alcohol related arrest in May.
Kelly had a quick hook last year after declaring that Dayne Crist would be his starter for the entire season. But by halftime of the season opener against South Florida, Kelly made the switch to Rees.
Kelly doesn't intend to do that this year.
"I dont think you going into any year thinking I want to make a change at halftime," Kelly explained. "We want one guy to be the guy."
But Golson was there on the sideline last year when Rees replaced Crist in 2011.
"They made the announcement that I'm the starter for Navy," Golson said. "It doesn't solidify that I'm the starter for the whole season. I'm going to keep my foot on the gas and keeping working to be the best player I can be."
Kelly said Golson will take 70 percent of the snaps over the next 10 days with Hendrix getting the other 30 percent.
Golson has been a fan favorite since Kelly recruited him two years ago because of his speed and ability to get away from defenders.
Golson had requested a visor from Coach Kelly when he arrived but Kelly said he wouldn't get it until Golson was the starter. When Golson arrived at the Irish practice facility today, the visor was on his helmet.
It's Golson's second season on campus, but he did not play last season, so he has four full seasons of eligibility left.
Number five hails from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where he was Mr. Football as a senior in high school. Reports out today say radio stations in the Myrtle Beach market are now scrambling to carry Irish games this fall.