Yosemite officials say 1,700 visitors risk disease

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Yosemite officials are telling 1,700 past visitors they may have been exposed to rodent-borne disease.

The email alerts sent Tuesday came after a second person died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, which can be carried in the urine, saliva and feces of infected deer mice.

All of the at-risk visitors had stayed in the "Signature Tent Cabins" in Yosemite National Park's Curry Village.

Yosemite officials are warning those who stayed there from mid-June through the end of August to beware of any symptoms of hantavirus, which can include fever, aches, dizziness and chills.

Park officials warn people to seek medical help immediately. There is no specific treatment for the respiratory illness.

Two other people were infected but are expected to survive.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 167720345 - wndu.com/a?a=167720345