SEATTLE Tesla says a fire in one of the company's electric cars began in the vehicle's battery.
Spokeswoman Liz Jarvis-Shean said Wednesday night that the fire near Seattle was caused by a large metallic object striking one of the battery pack's modules. She says the fire was contained to a small section at the front of the vehicle.
In documents obtained by The Associated Press under Washington state public records law, firefighters said they struggled to extinguish the flames that burned the Model S on Tuesday. They had to use a circular saw to cut a hole in the front section of the car to apply water to the battery.
Shares of Tesla Motors fell more than 6 percent Wednesday after an Internet video showed flames spewing from the vehicle.