Probe begins into carbon monoxide leak at NY mall

By: NewsCenter 16 Email
By: NewsCenter 16 Email

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. Officials investigating a carbon monoxide leak at a New York mall are concentrating on the heating system of a restaurant following the death of the eatery's 55-year-old manager and more than two dozen others being sent to hospitals.

Suffolk County police have identified the man who died Saturday as Steven Nelson. He's the manager at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island. Officials say an autopsy will to determine the cause of death.

Authorities say at least 27 others were taken to five area hospitals. WABC-TV has reported that all but a handful of the patients had been treated and released.

Police responding to a call about a woman who had fallen and hit her head at the restaurant started to feel lightheaded and nauseated and suspected a carbon monoxide leak.

Police say the incident seems to have been confined to the basement of the restaurant and that the leak appeared to originate with the heating system.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246760061