Ohio teens released in Twitter threat case

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Two Ohio teens accused of making online threats against a rape victim have denied the charges and been released on house arrest.

The two 16-year-old Jefferson County girls had been held in juvenile detention in Steubenville since their arrest last week.

The girls entered the juvenile court equivalent of a not guilty plea Wednesday before Juvenile Judge Sam Kerr. Their attorneys had no comment.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says the girls posted threatening comments on Twitter on March 17, the day two high school football players were convicted of raping a 16-year-old West Virginia girl last summer. The case roiled the town of Steubenville and stirred widespread reaction online.

DeWine's office says the tweets threatened homicide and bodily harm against the rape victim.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 200293231