Minnesota couple accused of starving adopted son

By: The Associated Press Email
By: The Associated Press Email

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Authorities say a Minnesota couple starved their 8-year-old adopted son so severely his bones protruded and his brain atrophied.

A criminal complaint filed last week charges Mona Hauer and Russell Hauer of North Mankato with six felonies, including neglect and malicious punishment of a child.

The complaint says the boy weighed less than 35 pounds when he was taken to the hospital.

He allegedly was given a liquid-only diet, and an alarm was on his door so he wouldn't steal food. He told authorities he had taken rotting food from a compost site because he was hungry.

The adoptive mother told authorities they put the boy on a liquid diet because he threw up his food.

It's unclear if the Hauers have an attorney. Their home voicemail was full Monday.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 177453891 - wndu.com/a?a=177453891