Electric cord sparked fire that killed firefighter

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - The fire commissioner says a high-rise apartment fire blaze that killed a New York City fire lieutenant started in an air-conditioner electrical cord pinched between a bed frame and a wall.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said in a statement Sunday that the fire has been ruled accidental.

Lt. Gordon Ambelas died late Saturday after suffering multiple injuries while looking for possible victims in a burning apartment in Brooklyn. His was the Fire Department of New York's first line-of-duty death in more than two years.

The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. Saturday in an apartment on the 19th floor of a building in the Independence Towers complex, owned by the New York City Housing Authority. Flames spread to the 17th and 18th floors.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265985241 - wndu.com/a?a=265985241