Egypt: suspect in Libya consulate attack killed

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

An Egyptian security official says a local militant suspected of involvement in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya has been killed in clashes in Cairo.

The official says the man, known only by his first name, Hazem, recently returned from Libya.

The official, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters, said an investigation into the man's possible involvement in the attack is under way.

This is the first time an Egyptian has been declared as a suspect in the attack on the Benghazi consulate last month, when the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed.

The official said the suspect attacked approaching Egyptian forces and was killed. He kept weapons in his hideout, the official said.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175674811 - wndu.com/a?a=175674811
Gray Television, Inc.