5 dead in Florida motel carbon monoxide poisoning

By: The Associated Press Email
By: The Associated Press Email

Authorities believe that carbon monoxide from a running car killed five friends whose bodies were found in a South Florida motel room.

A Hialeah fire spokesman says a maid called 911 Monday after seeing people unconscious through a window. Police spokesman Carl Zogby says the teenagers' deaths appear to be accidental.

A car used by the group was found running in a closed garage underneath the room.

Friends say the car had needed a jump-start earlier and could have been left running to preserve the battery's charge.

A door leading to a staircase up to the room had been left open, and high levels of carbon monoxide were found inside.

The group rented the room Sunday to celebrate one of teens' 19th birthday.

Officials found no alcohol, drugs or suspicious items in the room.

WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112547399 - wndu.com/a?a=112547399
Gray Television, Inc.