A Kentucky coroner says that as Stephanie Sparks cleaned the kitchen, her 5-year-old son, Kristian, began playing with a rifle he was given last year. She stepped out onto the front porch, poured grease out of a frying pan for the dogs and "heard the gun go off."
Authorities say the boy had fatally shot his 2-year-old sister, Caroline, in the chest.
In rural southern Kentucky, far removed from the national debate over gun control, where some children get their first guns even before they start first grade, the accident stunned the community.
Cumberland County Coroner Gary White says Kristian's rifle was kept in a corner of the mobile home, and the family didn't realize a bullet had been left in it.