Whirlpool sued over fire death

By: NewsCenter 16 staff Email
By: NewsCenter 16 staff Email

A family is suing Whirlpool, claiming a defective refrigerator overheated and killed a man with a fireball.

WSJM reports that a North Carolina man died in 2012, after opening the freezer door to see what was causing the appliance to smoke. That move added oxygen to the fire, sending a massive fireball at him.

The family says it was caused by a defective heating element in the ice maker.

The suit says major appliances cause 150,000 fires each year.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239591261 - wndu.com/a?a=239591261
Gray Television, Inc.