Two treated for smoke inhalation after hotel fire

BERRIEN COUNTY, Mich. -- The Berrien County Sheriff's department says two women were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at O'Brien's Hotel and Resort Sunday morning.

Around 8:40 a.m., the hotel's front desk was alerted to smoke coming from under the door of room 126, which wasn't occupied at the time.

Sheriff's deputies and hotel staff warned everyone in the hotel of the danger and got all 37 occupants to safety.

A 74-year-old and a 53-year-old woman were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

The Sheriff's Department says it appears the fire started when a TV overheated, causing a small electrical fire. Thick black smoke filled the entire building.

The cost of the damage is unknown.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 266931651 - wndu.com/a?a=266931651
Gray Television, Inc.