Service set for 200 whose bodies went unclaimed

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

BROWNSTOWN TOWNSHIP, Mich. A public memorial service is planned for 200 people whose bodies have gone unclaimed at the Wayne County medical examiner's office.

A coalition consisting of The Jewish Fund, the Archdiocese of Detroit and area funeral homes has come together to ensure the bodies are buried in individual graves at local cemeteries.

The interfaith service is to be held Wednesday at Our Lady of Hope Cemetery in Brownstown Township. One of the previously unclaimed bodies will be buried afterward.

The coalition says all 200 bodies that have been sitting in the county morgue long-term will be laid to rest in individual, marked graves within 30 days.

David Techner of the Ira Kaufman Chapel in Southfield says: "These people are being buried with dignity and respect."


WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 266394991 - wndu.com/a?a=266394991
Gray Television, Inc.