No charges against woman in boyfriend's slaying

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

A Flint woman who told police she shot her live-in boyfriend because she believed he was an intruder will not be charged in his slaying.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton says Friday that his decision comes after a "thorough review" of the police investigation into the Jan. 24 shooting death of 32-year-old Dustin Newton.

The woman said Newton returned home unexpectedly from work about 7:45 a.m. and that the couple's home recently had been broken into.

She told police Newton had taught her how to use the gun, which was registered to him.

Newton was shot in the neck. He worked at a local soda company.

Leyton says his office believes she "sincerely and reasonably believed the person entering her residence was a criminal intruder."


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 158271325