Man sentenced to minimum of six years for shooting into a crowd

A Buchanan man is sentenced to time in prison for shooting into a crowd of people in a neighborhood in Howard Township earlier this year.

According to the Herald Palladium, Anthony Bostic, 21, will spend between six and 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to assault and felony firearm possession.

On August 30, police say Bostic opened fire on a group of people outside a home on Carberry Road in Howard Township just east of Niles. The crowd, including several of Bostic’s relatives, was gathered outside the home on the porch when Bostic opened fired.

Cass County Prosecutor Victor Fitz said Bostic shot his gun a minimum of nine times, and while no one was injured and most of the shots hit a tree, he said “there could have been multiple funerals and multiple maimings.”

Officials have not determined official motive, Fitz said Bostic and his six intended victims gave conflicting statements. Bostic claims that the dispute was over drugs, but victims said it was over a car. Bostic also claims that he was returning fire after being shot at first, but Fitz said that Bostic’s claims are not believable.

Bostic’s girlfriend Kayla Johnson, 21, of South Bend pleaded guilty on Friday to a felony charge of lying to a police officer. Officials say that Johnson was not directly involved in the shooting but she did drive Bostic away from the scene.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183653881