CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. A suburban Detroit man who was injured when a firework exploded in his face during a Fourth of July celebration at his home has died.
The Macomb Daily of Mount Clemens reports that 35-year-old Nicholas Burchett of Clinton Township died Tuesday at a hospital after being injured last week. Police and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating.
Authorities say Burchett was hosting a holiday celebration when he bent over to light a firework in a tube and it exploded. Authorities say it appears some fireworks confiscated at the house were illegal to use without a federal explosives license.
Investigators say an area stand sold the fireworks. ATF spokesman Donald Dawkins says "we'll look at it from the beginning and see where it takes us."