Guilty pleas in mob attack are 'just resolution'

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

DETROIT, Mich.--- The Wayne County prosecutor's office says it consulted with the victim's family before agreeing to plea deals with five people who attacked a Detroit-area motorist.

Spokeswoman Maria Miller says the deals are a "just resolution." Three men pleaded guilty to assault Thursday after two other defendants made similar guilty pleas earlier this week.

Attempted murder charges were dropped.

Steve Utash was attacked by a mob in April after he got out of his pickup truck to help a boy whom he accidentally struck with his vehicle in Detroit. He was in a coma for days and in hospitals for six weeks.

Miller says the guilty pleas will allow the 54-year-old Utash to focus on his recovery. Messages seeking comment were left for Utash's family.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 263860731 - wndu.com/a?a=263860731