DETROIT (AP) - Dozens of people concerned about possible recent attacks on women turned out for a candlelight vigil at a southwest Detroit park despite assurances from police that their worries are unfounded.
The vigil took place Thursday night at Patton Park.
Area resident Becky Dorie says they're "hoping to get our streets back." She says she's joined in almost nightly patrols of the area with a community group.
Southwest District police Commander John Serta says he's been "trying to put down" recent rumors of multiple attacks on women. He says one woman was found unconscious after being attacked at Patton Park last week. Police say there have been other attacks in the district, but not in or near the park.