DNR: 2012 hunting season was safest in 5 years

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

State officials say Michigan's 2012 hunting season was the safest in five years.

Fifteen safety incidents were reported, including one death in September when a coyote hunter shot another hunter in St. Clair County. The Department of Natural Resources says there were three fewer incidents in 2011, but five were fatal.

DNR law enforcement chief Gary Hagler said Wednesday the keys to avoiding such mishaps include wearing orange clothing, being certain of the target and handling firearms safely.

Three of last year's incidents involved shooters who were minors. The youngest was a 6-year-old boy who was unloading his gun when it discharged hitting his father in the leg.

The number of incidents has dropped sharply since 2007, when there were 32. Hegler credits Michigan's hunter education program for the improvement.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188334471 - wndu.com/a?a=188334471