Benton Harbor house fire likely caused by person smoking in bed

Someone lighting up inside a Benton Harbor home may have caused the residence to go up in flames.

Courtesy: WSJM

Benton Harbor, Mich. Someone lighting up inside a Benton Harbor home may have caused the residence to go up in flames.

According to our reporting partners at WSJM, the fire broke out in the 500 block of East Main Street just after 2 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

Crews from multiple departments arrived to find the house fully-engulfed with flames coming from the second and third floors.

Four people were inside when the blaze started but everyone made it out safely.

Deputy Director of Public Safety Dan McGinnis said the fire may have been sparked by someone smoking in bed, but the investigation is ongoing.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 224333451 - wndu.com/a?a=224333451