Authorities rescue 3 overcome in Michigan cottage

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

KEELER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say they rescued an Illinois man and his two children after they apparently were overcome by carbon monoxide in southwestern Michigan.

The Van Buren County sheriff's department says it went to a summer cottage in Keeler Township Sunday night after the man's wife called asking that authorities check on the man and his sons, ages 11 and 13.

The man's wife told authorities they were expected home Sunday morning. Deputies found the 11-year-old asleep in a living room. They got him to open the door, and a deputy awakened the father. The 13-year-old had been asleep on a bathroom floor.

The boys were hospitalized in stable condition; their father was treated and released. Names and their hometown weren't released.

Authorities say a furnace problem may be to blame.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203025771 - wndu.com/a?a=203025771