Authorities find 2 SW Michigan runaways safe

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

LAWRENCE, Mich. Authorities say they've found two southwestern Michigan girls safe who left school and ran away with an 18-year-old man.

The Van Buren County sheriff's department says the 13- and 14-year-old girls went to school in Lawrence on Wednesday morning and left about an hour later. The department says the girls were believed to have gone to a park, where they met up with the 14-year-old's boyfriend.

The department says a farm owner in Oceana County recognized the girls, and authorities found them about 8:30 a.m. Thursday in a migrant camp in Benona Township, about 100 miles north of Lawrence. They're being returned home.

The department says they're still looking for the man. The girls had earlier contacted their families, but wouldn't say where they were.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 228230561 - wndu.com/a?a=228230561