After lawsuit, crèche returns to Detroit suburb

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

A Nativity scene has returned to public land in a Detroit suburb after a man sued to save the decades-old display.

The Detroit News reports that John Satawa (SAT'-uh-wah) erected the Nativity Saturday after Macomb County granted a permit. His family had been responsible for the Nativity scene since the 1940s, but there was no crèche from 2008 until now after someone complained.

The county said the display would be a hazard on a median in Warren, on Mound Road just north of Chicago Road and federal Judge Gerald Rosen agreed.

But an appeals court in August overturned the decision, saying religious content and not safety seemed to be the county's motive in rejecting it.

Satawa says the Nativity scene will be up for two weeks.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183665181