Syracuse boy’s death leads to CO poisoning awareness

Syracuse, Ind. In the wake of the carbon monoxide poisoning death of a local 12-year-old, the Syracuse community is raising awareness about the dangers of the deadly gas.

Skylar Spore was found dead in his home on June 28. Investigators believe he was poisoned by CO coming from two unventilated gas generators in the home.

Turkey Creek Fire Territory Chief Mickey Scott says deaths like Spore's can be prevented with a CO detector.

“About 40 percent of residents in the United States don’t have CO alarms,” Scott said.

Twenty two states have legislation requiring carbon monoxide detectors in residential buildings. Indiana is not one of them.

“We protect people from fire and smoke,” Scott said. “Well, carbon monoxide is the same thing -- even as dangerous or more dangerous because you can't see it or smell it.”

In the wake of last month’s tragedy, First Alert contacted the fire territory and offered to donate 150 CO alarms to be distributed in the community. Residents can stop by the Turkey Creek Territory Fire Station to pick up a free detector while supplies last.

The sad incident prompted neighbors like Shanna Miller to go out and buy a CO detector for her home.

‘This should really open everybody's eyes,” Miller said. “Everyone can see it's 15 dollars to buy a detector and it can save your child's life.”

“We can’t change what happened in the past but we want to try to prevent it from happening in the future,” Scott said.


WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 268354722 - wndu.com/a?a=268354722