Firefighters from the Elkhart Fire Department work in front of a home at 823 N. Main Street after extinguishing a fire in the upstairs apartment of a multiple dwelling home Wednesday, April 30, 2014. No injuries were reported at the scene. (Jennifer Shephard / The Elkhart Truth)
ELKHART, Ind. -- A neighbor and her friend rescued a woman from a burning apartment in downtown Elkhart Wednesday.
It happened around 1:15 p.m. in the 800 block of N. Main Street at a multi-family home.
Nine fire units responded out of concern that someone was still inside, according to our reporting partners at The Elkhart Truth.
A neighbor and her friend noticed the smoke and flames, and were told by tenants of the burning house that a woman with limited mobility was still inside.
They rushed in and helped the woman to safety.
Thanks in part to the actions of the pair, no one was hurt.
A release issued Wednesday said the fire was ruled accidental, but it did not specify an exact cause.