Most Ind. fair collapse victims accept settlement

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

The Indiana Attorney General's Office says most victims of a deadly stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair have agreed to accept shares of a $13.2 million settlement offer from the state and two private companies.

The office said Thursday so far 51 of the 62 eligible claimants have accepted the settlement offer. Paperwork from additional claimants that was postmarked by Wednesday's midnight deadline also will be accepted.

To accept the combined settlement, claimants agreed to release Mid-America Sound and James Thomas Engineering from additional liability in the Aug. 13, 2011, collapse before country duo Sugarland was to perform, killing seven and injuring dozens. The companies put up a combined $7.2 million with the state' $6 million.

The companies have until Aug. 15 to sign off on the settlement.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 164834966