BRISTOL, Ind. A fire that killed a mother, her adult son and the family dog in a Bristol trailer home Monday has been ruled "unintentional" as the investigation continues.
It happened shortly after 7:00 a.m. at the Timberbrook Mobile Home Park in Bristol (526 N. Arbutus).
The call for help apparently came in from the emergency medical alert device of 66-year-old Crisinda Kabay.
Kabay’s 42-year-old son Chad Russell also perished in the blaze. Russell recently moved into his mother’s home after her husband fell ill and moved to a nursing home.
“Trying to break it to my step-father, he is already going through a lot. Going through rehabilitation in a nursing home and now we have to go try to break it to him that his wife is gone. We are a week from Christmas he is already looking at spending it without her just being in a nursing home. Now he has to spend it without her for the rest of his life,” said another son of Crisinda Kabay, Bob Chupp.
Members of the Bristol Fire Department who were called to fight the flames say they did not have a fighting chance to save the people and pet trapped inside.
“Upon arriving at the scene, the east half of the building was fully involved,” said Chief Fay Kemp. “And there was no one around so, we assumed that the occupants were still inside.”
Both bodies were found near the front door. They both, from what I understand, they both tried to make it out,” said Chupp. “And I guess the smoke was too much for him (Russell) to get out.”
For the family, this holiday season of giving has suddenly turned into one of great loss.
“The biggest thing is be with family and appreciate your family. You never know when you’re going to lose them,” said Chupp.
Chupp said his mother had mobility problems, and “had a hard time getting around,” but adds, “She was a mother to everybody, all the neighbors, she tried to be a mother to all her neighbors. She just tried to be there for everybody.”
Turns out Bristol firefighters had been to the same address before, sometimes to respond to medical calls and on at least one prior occasion, to respond to a fire that was caused by smoking while using oxygen.
It is too soon to say for sure if Monday's fire was related to smoking and the use of oxygen for medical purposes, but those who know and love the family say they would not be surprised.
“Don’t smoke in your home, don’t smoke period,” said Raymond Conway who used to live next door to the Kabays. “I was really worried when we were living here; I mean I feel kind of bad I mean I probably could have helped if I was here. I feel like I didn't do enough.”
The Bristol Fire Department told NewsCenter 16 the investigation has been handed over to the state fire marshal.
The exact cause has not been confirmed. However, firefighters said it is likely due to smoking inside.