Granger, Ind. Soho Japanese Bistro in Granger was shut down for 2 hours Saturday evening after several employees complained of feeling ill.
Four members of the kitchen staff were taken to a local hospital to get checked out. No word yet on their conditions or symptoms.
“None of the customers in the front were affected by it at all and it was just the people in the back and they said they weren't feeling good,” said Jon Lin, whose family owns the restaurant. “We sent the employees to the hospital and shut down the restaurant as a precaution.”
The Mishawaka Fire Department and NIPSCO were on the scene and cleared the restaurant to re-open. NIPSCO checked the gas levels – including carbon dioxide – but could not find anything wrong.
Managers believe the problem might have been with a leaky water heater; all of the hospitalized employees were reported to have been working in the vicinity of that water heater.
NIPSCO could not confirm that water heater was the source of the problem. Newscenter 16 is still waiting to hear updates on the condition of those hospitalized.