Ind. warns of toxic algae risk after dogs' deaths

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Indiana health officials are warning residents that toxic algae found this summer in several lakes poses a health threat to humans and animals.

Their warning comes after two dogs died after playing in a northern Indiana reservoir tainted by the toxic algae.

The Board of Animal Health tells WANE-TV (http://bit.ly/P1AiD1 ) that toxins released by blue-green algae are likely what caused two dogs belonging to Larry and Marge Young to die last week after the dogs played in Salamonie Reservoir.

The Wabash couple's two other dogs were sickened and are being treated for liver failure.

State officials have found high blue-green algae levels in seven Indiana lakes, including Salamonie, where record levels were discovered. The others are Raccoon Lake, Hardy Lake, Brookville Lake, Whitewater Lake, Sand Lake and Worster Lake.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 163311506 - wndu.com/a?a=163311506