A top Indiana State Fair official at the center of a deadly stage collapse last year says she is haunted by the tragedy, but determined to help the fair move forward as it prepares for its Aug. 3 opening.
Indiana State Fair Commission Executive Director Cindy Hoye says she follows the victims' stories but hasn't spoken to them or their families for legal reasons.
Hoye is a key witness in lawsuits surrounding the Aug. 13, 2011, collapse before a concert by country duo Sugarland. Critics say she should have acted sooner to evacuate the thousands gathered as a storm approached.
A months-long investigation faulted the fair for inadequate safety protocols and failure to clearly establish who could cancel shows. Hoye says a new policy in place will be reviewed regularly.