Ind. coroner: Smoke inhalation caused fire deaths

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

A southern Indiana coroner says smoke inhalation is to blame for the deaths of two children and three adults in a mobile home fire last week.

Crawford County coroner David Wayne Bullington said Monday that the state fire marshal's office found a wood stove being used to heat the home caused Thursday's blaze near Sulphur, about 30 miles west of Louisville, Ky.

Bullington identified the victims as 34-year-old Dee Ann Lutz Rodgier, her 3-year-old son, Curtis Rodgier, her boyfriend, 32-year-old John Denton, and Denton's 8-year-old daughter, Kara. Denton's half brother, 35-year-old Billy Joe Turben, also died.

Sheriff Tim Wilkerson and relatives said the home had an electric furnace but that the occupants used the wood stove as their primary heat source because the furnace was expensive to run.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190784911 - wndu.com/a?a=190784911