HAMMOND Three children died in an overnight house fire in the city of Hammond.
Hammond Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Margraf says the children who died were 6 months old, 3 and 4.
The children's father and a 3 and 6 year old child were taken to a Hammond hospital but were expected to be moved to a Chicago hospital's burn unit. The two surviving children were treated for smoke inhalation. One had minor burns
Fire crews were called to the home, on the 600 block of Sibley Street, at about 10:15 p.m. Wednesday.
The deputy fire chief tells Chicago's NBC station, WMAQ, there were space heaters in the home but said at 4 a.m. it was too early to determine an exact cause of the fire.
The children's fire deaths come days after a Saturday house fire in the southern Indiana city of New Albany killed three children under the age of 10.