Fumes sicken 13 workers at Ind. State Fairgrounds

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

A spokesman says more than a dozen people have been taken to hospitals after they were sickened by fumes from gas-fueled power-washing equipment while working at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Fairgrounds spokesman Andy Klotz says 15 workers were power-washing floors at Exposition Hall about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday when two contract workers complained of lightheadedness. Two fairgrounds employees weren't affected. The 13 contract employees were taken to hospitals for treatment. Information on their conditions wasn't immediately available.

Klotz says the 74,000 square foot building's doors were open but there was little wind to provide ventilation.

An official with contractor OnDemand didn't answer his phone.

Klotz says the building will be tested for carbon monoxide before people are allowed back in.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 168511926 - wndu.com/a?a=168511926