Family of 3 escapes fire in Indianapolis

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Authorities say an Indianapolis woman who awoke to find her kitchen on fire helped her family to escape the burning house.

The city fire department says 27-year-old Brian Walker fell asleep while heating grease to cook chicken on the stove. His 47-year-old mother Lawanna Walker discovered the fire when she awoke about 5 a.m. and warned her son and her 11-year-old daughter to get out.

All three were checked at the scene for smoke inhalation and released.

Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 10 minutes. Damage to the wood frame home was estimated at about $15,000.

Officials say firefighters found no working smoke detectors in the home.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WNDU - Channel 16 54516 State Road 933 South Bend, IN 46637 Front Desk: 574-284-3000 Newsroom: 574-284-3016 Email: newscenter16@wndu.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 172991041 - wndu.com/a?a=172991041