Authorities say an Indianapolis woman who awoke to find her kitchen on fire helped her family to escape the burning house.
The city fire department says 27-year-old Brian Walker fell asleep while heating grease to cook chicken on the stove. His 47-year-old mother Lawanna Walker discovered the fire when she awoke about 5 a.m. and warned her son and her 11-year-old daughter to get out.
All three were checked at the scene for smoke inhalation and released.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 10 minutes. Damage to the wood frame home was estimated at about $15,000.
Officials say firefighters found no working smoke detectors in the home.